Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Laughing at Myself

Yesterday was one of those days that turned into a comedy of errors and to keep from crying you just have to laugh at yourself. Do other people get caught in the rain while they are locked out of their apartment while waiting on an electrician running late to a scheduled meeting with Marie? For Real. I fear it’s just me…

Apparently the only hot water I’ll be seeing this summer will be with the bottles of water that I leave out and begin to boil because of the heat in my apartment (still no hot water or fridge.) Day twelve and I just stare at the broken hot water heater while I splash freezing cold water on myself to rinse off in the shower. And as a follow up to what was really going on with my TV- this is so cool- The power button doesn’t work one bit, gotta just start changing the channels to get it to come on. It’s like magic- or at least I tell myself.

I still stop by and see my friend at the Colgate store every day (I figure if I ever go missing he will be the last person who saw me walk down the street) but I found the grocery store Mecca yesterday. (Thanks for the encouragement David M! You were right!) I only had a few dollars in change on me, but I wandered the aisles for almost an hour just looking at all the new foods I will try one day and enjoying the air conditioning in the frozen foods section. Jonathan always makes fun of me that I could go into Kroger in the Heights for one thing and disappear for hours… I really see wandering the Whitchurch IGA turning into a weekly activity.

Anyone want to send me mail? I’ll secret message you my address because apparently strangers from Portugal are reading my blog. Thanks Momma for the letter you sent to the sweet elderly couple down the street. I decided to knock on their door on my way back from the grocery store but they refused to give me the card until I spent about thirty minutes in their formal living room visiting about Bill Clinton. “But why are you getting your mail here?” they asked over and over again, and then when I finally explained that the numbers were just transposed and I really live a block away they said that they would safely deliver any more mail I received.

I don’t want to turn into a TV junkie but it’s a great way to stay in and save money. I am so glad Ali didn’t give creepy Kasey the rose last night, but I swear if Ty has a girlfriend I’m going to drive to Nashville when I get home and kick his butt. And wow- trueblood is getting OUT OF CONTROL. It’s really starting to dominate my Sundays when I read my Sookie Stackhouse Southern Vampire Series books all day, and watch the newest episodes at night. For anyone who has watched TB, have you ever tried to describe it to someone? “Well there are these vampires, and they are trying to Mainstream. And there are these townies who are doing V- which is vampire blood and it makes them trip like ecstasy. And last season there was this religious right cult trying to kill all the vampires, and this ancient greek devil worshipper woman, but this season they just introduced werewolves.” I quickly lose credibility in conversations (probably like I just have on this post.)

Finally- can’t believe how easy it is to keep in touch with everyone. I really feel for my classmates in India and Africa. My angel, Kolene, got me a free cell phone so I can receive calls for free and text Jonathan all day for what feels like free… I don’t think he has checked his bill yet though so we’ll see if that continues! Daddy has only called me once on Father’s day… I’ve never speed dated before but that’s what I compare the experience to talking to the Hendrix clan. Daddy: “Hi! How are you? Is it great? Are you having fun? Are you being safe? Gotta go, here’s mom!” Mom: “Hi! How are you? We miss you! Are you having fun? Are you being safe? Can’t talk long, here’s Carmen!” and so forth until I had talked to everyone for 5 seconds each. Skype is super cool too, when the internet is working. Its great because you can make the screen really bright to hide how sunburnt you are or really dark to hide not wearing a bit of makeup here.

That’s all for now- don’t worry, I’ll keep laughing at myself when I accidentally scream because a roosters flys at my face on the way to work, or when my blow dryer turns into a blow torch and sounds like a rocket launching complete with sparks and explosion, or when anime porn pops up on my work computer screen when my boss is standing behind me. I mean, I’ve only been here a week- she can’t possibly think that I was looking at that right? Patrick???

2 comments:

  1. Just got caught up. That picture in the post below of you laughing is so perfect. It captures your personality wonderfully.

    So much to say about this post...I'll just leave it at this: it makes me happy to read this because I feel like I'm actually getting to talk to you and I do miss you something awful.

    I will add this: I would love to skype!!! Oh and I don't think it's Ty that has a gf. I read someone else, but I won't spoil it for you. I was surprised. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!!! I love it!! And yes, the Father's Day phone call was like speed dating!! That's hilarious. I can't believe you don't have hot water! Think how appreciative you'll be of well, everything, when you get back to LR. Hot water,reliable electricity, a rooster free commute! Sounds like you're really making memories! You should look into publishing your blog into a book, go to Blurb.com for ideas. With your great pics and funny posts, it would be really neat. I LOVE YOU!!

    ReplyDelete