Thursday, June 10, 2010

Halfway House

What I am about to say is very important. Someone once "Meow"ed at Judith Marie Watts.

Moving on. I am extremely grateful for the generosity of Judy and Sarah for letting me sleep on their sofa (really a bench with cushions), and eat their Pringles (almost the whole can), and wait with me at the Post Office while I mailed a Father's Day card (which I forgot to leave in AR). I got to St. Lucia yesterday afternoon and leave very early tomorrow for Dominica. A taxi driver met me at the airport with my name on a sign and answered 1,000 questions on our hour drive to the city Castries, as well as took a picture of me in the middle of a tropical storm. I called St. Lucia my "Halfway House" because girls took me on a very lovely walk through a cemetery and for a 60 mile an hour bus ride with 17 other people (the size of a church van)... experiencing St. Lucia with them is kinda like a stepping in a kiddy pool before I jump into the big scary Dominica deep end of the pool all by myself!

St. Lucia is really beautiful, my favorite things are the views of the homes painted all different colors on the steep mountainous hillsides. But honestly, its not all beaches and suntan oil here. These girls really have their IPSP together (and are really making me freak out about getting a late start on my project!) Today I sat in on two meetings in which my classmates talked about the hierarchy of needs of the people here and how the radio programs they are working on will change their attitudes and behaviors. SO great! We walked out of one meeting feeling like we just left a Social Change class!

1 comment:

  1. You are the best and cutest house guest ever! Please come back, but preferably before we leave St. Lucia. ; ) Much love from you half way house. - Judy aka Charlotte

    ReplyDelete