Wednesday, July 21, 2010

My products

Considering Delta’s one suitcase at 50 pounds limit I thought I did a good job packing for this trip. I mean, I had to roll up ten weeks worth of mix and match clothes, bathing suits, workout clothes, tank tops, grey, pink, navy, and khaki shorts, books, snorkeling gear, outlet adaptors, notepads, pens, wrinkle releaser, tennis shoes, dressy sandals, casual sandals, hiking sandals, etcetera. I thought I covered everything. Elizabeth and I sat in my bedroom surrounded by clothes and talked about each item and how practical or multipurposeful it could be. I planned for a hot weather and hiking and rain and yes- even sitting in the office doing my project!



It's like my head was in a fog though, I never really thought about the most important things to a girl: PRODUCTS! You know- the first 8 aisles on the left when you walk into Target. I guess I thought I could live simply this summer makeup and product free, just a little mascara, chapstick, no name shampoo, and regular ole' Colgate toothpaste. I mean, you don’t need all that extra stuff, right? My bathroom at home is like my very own Bath and Body Works. I know it’s a little excessive, but that’s why I was looking forward to a bit of a simpler summer- just me and a bar of soap more or less...


Well, I lasted about a week before I realized my eyebrows were getting out of control. I started missing the nights where I would stay in and watch reality TV with my Crest whitestips and my Biore porestrips and give myself a pedicure with those little separators stuck in between each toe. Then one evening after a long hike and before a quick dinner, I decided to just shower in my friend Kat’s hotel room (since she had hot water and a blowdryer, two things I was seriously missing) and I walked in to a little wonderland. Moisturizing makeup remover towlettes, peppermint scented body oil, leave in deep conditioner, all the stuff that takes girls an hour to get ready for a date when a guy can be ready in 15 minutes. I used her grapefruit scrub on my elbows and followed the directions on the leave in scalp treatment while I plucked my eyebrows and lathered up with body cream (which is so much better than regular lotion.)


Before I go on, I know you are thinking- Dominica isn’t the Sahara or the Amazon. I should be able to find a pharmacy or a grocery store to stock up on essentials. But that’s where I know I’m a spoiled American brat. Sorry. I am. The stuff here is all a little older, a little more practical, way more expensive, and a lot less exciting! I want the toothpaste that fizzes and tastes like vanilla and whitens your teeth while fighting cavities. I want the deodorant with glitter that smells like coco butter, even though no one in the world really will ever see if your armpit sparkles or not. And once you get used to flossing with satin, you just can’t go back! Anyway, you probably aren’t reading this unless you know me, and if you know me you this shouldn’t come as a surprise.


I said all that to say all this: I haven’t blogged in the last week and a half because of how busy I’ve been. My wonderful parents came for a wonderful visit, Elizabeth mailed me a generous care package as big as my body, and my great friends left the island forever (sad sad sad.) All this has all been pretty big news, all worthy of separate, in-depth, hilarious, and appreciative blog posts, but what do I keep thinking about??? All the new great products I have now!!!


Everyone gave/sent/left me a few little treats here and there, that when combined makes my bathroom cabinet looks a little more like home away from home! I’ve got new lotions from Europe and potions like witch hazel, cotton balls and floss wands and bug sprays with aloe, nail polish remover and new colors to paint with, shampoos and conditioners and treatments to choose from, I’ve even got bronzers and tweezers and multivitamins. I’ve got so much I’m afraid I won’t use it all within the next 22 days… but I guess I can always share with someone else like someone shared with me. When I write to future students embarking on their IPSP adventures, I am going to tell them- don’t worry about clothes. You can wash or buy any clothes, but take your products. If you like for your hair to smell like peppermint, your armpits to sparkle, and don’t want your bug spray to smell like bug spray, even when you are creating Social Change you need to take your products!!!

1 comment: