Anyway, so once I was on, I made a friend with the coolest guy, Scooby. He had lots of tattoos and a big gold hoop earring like a pirate! He took me all around the ship and let me wear the captain’s cap and sit in the captain’s seat (because the captain was gone scuba diving.) I think I took a few too many pictures of the computer screens because at one point this guy came up and told Scooby to tell me to quit, but didn’t make me delete the photos of the maps and stuff... I guess for the safety of the free world I wont post them.
The guys on the ship were all civilians, 4 months on and 3 months off, they just refuel British and Dutch and American boats(and probably other countries, those were just the ones that were mentioned). On the ship is something like 600 thousand kilos of fuel (how many gallons is that?) They were supposed to stop in Venezuela but because of a tropical storm they came here instead. They don't usually spend much time docked, but just floating around the ocean on behalf of NATO, this trip's goal or focus was on tropical storm/ hurricane response, but they have other assignments. On the ship I got to see the karaoke bar and the library. I asked and they said there was only one girl on the boat, I feel sorry for her! I got to see their rooms and I think they are nicer than my apartment here. (Scoobys was covered with naked girl posters.) Of course I asked how the fuel boat gets fuel, and a guy named Nigel said Guantanamo Bay I think, but it was really hard to understand him. He said they could fuel up in Roseau but it would cost "me arm and me leg."
That's pretty awesome. What led to you sneaking on the boat? Did it just seem like a neat thing to try to do?
ReplyDeleteHow cool !!!! I would have done the exact same thing, love adventure. I bet they were thrilled with you and Scooby will tell that story a million times.
ReplyDeleteVow Valerie, how exciting. Cant wait to see all the pictures and hear the story.
ReplyDeleteYou are so hoss, Val!
ReplyDelete